Wednesday, December 29, 2010

He Gives Flowers To Everyone

So this post might be sort of creeptastic if the person that I copied this story from happened to stumble upon it. It really struck me and I loved the story. I'll add my own notes at the end. But this story touched my heart. And I hope this person doesn't mind that I used it. I was just doing what I do best, blog stalking, and found this treasure.

"I was working (In pediatrics) and that day in particular was REALLY hard. I had been busy all day, on my feet, stressed and tired. My shift seemed like it would last an eternity! FINALLY six p.m. came around and it was time for me to head home. I was so tired and grumpy walking away from work. But when I walked to the security desk I noticed these BEAUTIFUL flowers! They were in a really cute tin can looking thing; they were the best flowers I had ever seen! I commented to the person sitting at the desk how beautiful they were, and how good they smelt! She told me I could have them, so I took them! I was so happy! Suddenly my horrible day was brightened, I thought to myself that surely the Lord wanted ME to have those flowers!

Walking out of the hospital to my husband’s car, I was sort of stuck behind someone. This woman in a wheel chair was taking FOREVER! I grew very impatient with her, she was in the middle of the door to go outside. (I know that sounds really mean of me, but its exactly what I was thinking) When I finally got close enough to pass her I realized that she smelt bad too! “EW” I thought (not that I smelt that much better, a day with sick children) She looked like she hadn’t taken a shower in weeks! I was so bothered by her! Finally I was able to pass her. As I did she lifted up her head and said “Oh.. What beautiful flowers” and as I was walking away in a hurry I said “Thanks!” I could see my husband sitting in the car and was excited to tell him about my flowers.

Suddenly, I felt in my heart that I should give her the flowers. I felt the Holy Ghost tell me that the woman really needed those flowers more than me. I was enraged! I was angry! I thought that the Lord was giving ME those flowers because I had had a BAD day, why did she deserve them -I thought! I was getting closer to the door when I felt that feeling again.

Finally after having an internal struggle, I turned around and offered the woman the flowers. I didn’t know her name, I didn’t ask it, I just turned around and said “Do you want these flowers?” I was secretly hoping she would say no. To my dismay she said “Oh yes! I would really love them, they are beautiful!” so I handed them to her, my heart sinking. When I turned around to leave I noticed tears running down her face.

She told me about how she lived in the rest home across the street. She sobbed even more telling me that none of her children had come to see her in over a year, not even called her. She told me how depressed she had been, she didn’t want to live anymore. For weeks she had been praying for a sign from the Lord, that he cared. That he loved her. I watched as this elderly woman cried and sobbed, it broke my heart. She said “ These flowers are the answer to my prayers, I know it. You are an angel sent from God, you have such a good heart to give me these flowers. I know now that God loves me, because he sent me these beautiful flowers, through a complete stranger. He knew that no one I knew would give me flowers, so he sent them through you, an angel”

My heart broke into a thousand pieces. Here I was today, so selfish, careless. Here this woman was needing a loving word, and I didn’t even want to talk to her, nor even ask her how she was doing. I was no angel, just a BIG brat. As I walked to the car I was crying so hard I could barely see, I was so blurry. When I got to the car, my husband asked why I had given those flowers away, and I told him the story. Relieved and confused he said “ I sent you flowers to work today, roses, I felt like you needed them today, I was worried you gave the flowers I had given you away… but if those aren’t the flowers that I gave you, where are they?”

It turned out that the floral shop forgot to deliver the roses to me at work; we drove over to the floral shop. My husband went inside, and came out with a beautiful bouquet of roses. Purple, Pink, red and white roses. They were far more beautiful than the roses I had given to the elderly woman.

I couldn’t help but cry more. I didn’t want to give the woman the flowers I had earlier. I couldn’t believe the Lord was asking me to give MY flowers up. I couldn’t believe what a grand lesson I learned that day. The lord asked me to give up the flowers that I had, but he had a far BETTER bouquet of flowers waiting for me. He made it up to me. He never asked me to give them up, just trade them for better ones. Still when I think of this story it makes me cry a little.

The Lord’s love for His children amazes me. Here was this elderly woman, a woman I didn’t even care for, and apparently no one else. But yet, to show he cared, he sent her flowers. What a beautiful gift to give someone in need. He gave me BETTER flowers later, from a loving husband."

I tossed and turned the night that I read this story. Something about it tugged at my heartstrings. And you know me, I will probably relate this to adoption. So that's what I'm going to do.

Being the girl in the story could be a birthmom.
Flowers represent a baby.
Elderly woman as an adoptive family (sorry, I don't think you all stink and don't shower for weeks. haha!)

I'll just sort of break it down and use my own words.



I was just going about my normal life while pregnant and this day in particular was REALLY hard. I had been busy all day, on my feet, stressed and tired. This day seemed like it would last an eternity! FINALLY six it came around time for me to say my prayers. I was so tired and grumpy. I walked by the mirror and say my belly and thought it was the cutest belly I had ever seen and looking at ultrasound pictures, I knew it was going to be the cutest baby I'd ever seen. I prayed and said how beautiful she was, and how healthy she was going to be! The answer I recieved, I could have her. I was so happy! Suddenly my horrible day was brightened, I thought to myself that surely the Lord wanted ME to have this baby!


Walking out of the hospital to my car with my new baby girl, I was sort of stuck behind someone. This woman was taking FOREVER! I grew very impatient with her, she was in the middle of the door to go outside. (I know that sounds really mean of me, but its exactly what I was thinking) I was so bothered by her! Finally, I was able to pass her. As I did she lifted up her head and said “Oh.. What a beautiful baby” and as I was walking away in a hurry I said “Thanks!” I could see my car and I was excited to bring my new bundle of joy home.

Suddenly, I felt in my heart that I should give her my baby girl. I felt the Holy Ghost tell me that the woman really needed this baby more than me. I was enraged! I was angry! I thought that the Lord was giving ME this baby because I had her, why did she deserve her -I thought! I was getting closer to the car door when I felt that feeling again.


Finally after having an internal struggle, I turned around and offered the woman my baby girl. I didn’t know her name, I didn’t ask it, I just turned around and said “Would you like to be the parent of my daughter?” I was secretly hoping she would say no. To my dismay she said “Oh yes! I would really love her, she is beautiful!” so I placed my daughter in her arms, my heart sinking. When I turned around to leave I noticed tears running down her face.


She told me about how she lived in a lovely home not far from here. She sobbed even more telling me that she was in the hospital just to find out that she couldn't have any children of her own, and she has been trying for over a year. She told me how depressed she had been, she didn’t want to live anymore. For weeks, she had been praying for a sign from the Lord, that He cared, that He loved her or in someway would let her be pregnant or bring a child into her life. I watched as this woman cried and sobbed, it broke my heart. She said “This baby is the answer to my prayers, I know it. You are an angel sent from God, you have such a good heart to give me this little girl. I know now that God loves me, because He sent this beautiful daughter, through a complete stranger. He knew that I couldn't have my own children, and he would find a way to give me this baby, so He sent them through you, an angel”

My heart broke into a thousand pieces. Here I was today, so selfish, careless. Here this woman was needing a loving word, and I didn’t even want to talk to her, nor even ask her how she was doing. I was no angel, just a BIG brat. As I walked to the car I was crying so hard I could barely see, I was so blurry.

Years down the road, my husband asked me why I had given my baby away, and I told him the story. Relieved and confused he said  “I want to give you a baby, I feel like you need one. I was worried you gave our baby away… but if that isn't the baby that I'm going to give you, where is he or she?”
We prayed, and it turned out that the baby that was ours was waiting for us to joing our family. My husband went in the hospital and came out with the ultrasound of OUR baby. The one HE gave me. This baby was far more beautiful than the one (even though she is pretty beautiful to begin with) I had given to this woman.

I couldn’t help but cry more. I didn’t want to give the woman this baby, I had earlier. I couldn’t believe the Lord was asking me to place MY baby with her. I couldn’t believe what a grand lesson I learned that day. The Lord asked me to place the baby that I had, but He had a far BETTER plan and a beautiful baby waiting for me. He made it up to me. He asked me for my sacrifice but to reap the rewards later. Still when I think of this story it makes me cry a little.

The Lord’s love for His children amazes me. Here was this woman, a woman I didn’t even know. But yet, to show He cared, He sent her my baby. What a beautiful gift to give someone in need. He gave me a baby later, from a loving husband.

That's what I thought about this story. That nothing is random. Everything happens for a reason. And everyone deserves beautiful flowers (either from a complete stranger or somebody you know personally). It doesn't mean that is has to be a baby. It could be something that you really need right now at this time. I know I'm so very grateful to know that someday my husband will give me a beautiful baby that is waiting to join our family. Like the way that D and V waited to have a baby join their family, even if they couldn't give themselves the flowers they were able to recieve flowers from someone else. And I know that even if the wait hurts and it sucks. It'll be completely worth it in the end.

11 comments:

  1. Just loved this story, and I loved your take on it even better! You are a rose among the thorns and I hope that you know just how beautiful you are and how great your amazing spirit smells!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Stephanie! I love how the original story connected with adoption. So perfect. You are such an amazing girl and I love reading about your experiences with adoption. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm so basically....... I bawled my way through this..... thank you. I really mean that. Thank you for writing, for keeping this blog, for letting me stalk you. You help me understand adoption and the perspective of a birthmother like no one else can. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stefanie you are amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing this and relating it to adoption. Just what I needed to read/hear right now. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    P.S. If you don't mind, I'm going to post this on my blog too. Let me know if you'd prefer I not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind at all, devin :)

    Thanks everyone.

    I'm planning on going back to my blog stalked expedition to find the original link. Some people are legit upset that I posted this and said I plagerized. But I'm pretty sure I didn't say that was my story. I did not take credit for it. And I think I personally would feel honored if someone posted a story that I wrote (and gave me credit), with our without my permission. So I will just make everyone happy and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't say that it was yours... you clearly stated that you found it on another blog... I Loved both of those stories! :D So cute and very very touching! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though you said you didn't write it you really need to credit the person who did write it. I want to know who she is! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here you go. For everyone who will get off my back. Oh and I left her a comment asking her permission and if she wants me to take it down. I will. And this is the link. The end.

    http://the-a-team09.blogspot.com/2010/01/he-gives-flowers-to-everyone.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha Stefanie you are awesome! I loved this story.. a lot. Thank you for sharing it girly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha so I went to high school with Cindy, and I loved this story when she first posted it & I really like the spin you were able to put on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is really poignant how well Cindy's experience relates to adoption!

    -in the hospital, I saw firsthand how your joy at meeting Olivia seemed to eclipse the heartache, or make 'the long day' worth it. "I had been busy all [9 months], on my feet, stressed and tired. My [pregnancy] seemed like it would last an eternity! FINALLY [labor] came around and it was time for me to [meet her]...I was so happy! Suddenly my horrible [heartache] was brightened"

    -sometimes birth mom's can be very bothered by adoptive parents. It's natural/normal/okay to feel like, "I was enraged! I was angry!" (From my angle) placing would be a really hard thing to do and then it could be painstaking to watch someone else enjoying your "flowers".

    -all the flowers came from a garden/florist, like all children come from God. The flowers bless each person who gets to enjoy their beauty. He entrusted flowers to you then you entrusted flowers to us. Moms (you, me) do their best to make choices to protect and provide for the child.

    -for Cindy, it was unusual to give her flowers to a stranger. In adoption, it often is a stranger.

    -I do think your baby (and your experience) will be AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, PHENOMENAL when you and Taylor are experiencing it together, prepared and excited and ready.

    -one sad difference...not everyone that wants flowers always ends up with flowers.

    ReplyDelete